Thursday, November 23, 2006

Big Turkey Day

I suppose I should give thanks for this bounty of SPPs (8 total!), but I'm Canadian, my Thanksgiving was last month.


Pooch Café by Paul Gilligan
Drabble by Kevin Fagan
Overboard by Chip Dunham
Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis
Baby Blues by Rick Kirkman & Jerry Scott
Sally Forth by Craig Macintosh & Francesco Marciuliano
The Meaning of Lila by John Forgetta & L.A. Rose
Monty by Jim Meddick

Technically, Drabble shouldn't count, since the silent panel revealed new "information", but there's two important things to consider.

First, the information revealed is superfluous and not entirely necessary for the "gag". Second, the panel border is completely unnecessary. The strip would have worked much better if the last two panels were combined into a single, longer panel.

If this was a Sunday strip, Fagan would have an excuse, since newspapers impose arbitrary panel borders for Sunday strips, to give them the freedom to rearrange them as they see fit. But this is Thursday, there's no excuse.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brubaker said...

I think I know why today's "Drabble" panels 2 and 3 are separate.

Some newspapers cut the strip in half and put one half on top of another, so Kevin probably had to do that to meet the paper's standards.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

More importantly, some cartoonists intentionally have that break down the middle so that the newspapers have that option of stacking the strip (potentially getting more circulation... I believe Jimmy Johnson commented that he does this for Arlo and Janis a while back on his webpage). Other cartoonists don't bother and gain additional freedom with their panels.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me, but I think Family Circus did the exact same comic last year..

"Boy, I sure enjoy this bread the turkey ate" or something like that.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home