Friday, January 05, 2007

Trollope


Two for this Friday:

Bo-Nanas by John Kovaleski
Piranha Club by Bud Grace

In Thursday's Prickly City, I mistook the squiggly rectangle thing in the scribbly girl's hands for a book, and mis-read "trollop" as "Trollope."

For a day there, I thought Scott Stantis was making a clever literary reference and a statement about how our culture forces children to read maudlin 19th century fiction too early in life.

But, oh well:

That rectangle thing is a doll, and Stantis is just using our grandmothers' word for slut.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could've sworn there was an SPP in Friday's Nancy- but I'm sure there's one today.

I too assumed that was a book in Prickly City, and had no idea anyone uses the word "Trollop" anymore- let alone a 8 year old conservative black girl.

2:01 PM  
Blogger James Richter said...

She's black?

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home