Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mutts' excessive white space.



Per the usual, Sunday is a big day for silent penultimate panels.

9 Chickweed Lane by Brooke McEldowney
Luann by Greg Evans
Pooch Cafe by Paul Gilligan
Non Sequitur by Wiley Miller
Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey

So what about today's Mutts?

Patrick McDonnell, more than anyone else working in comics today, is a master of comics grammar. If he does something unusual with his layout, it is for a good reason. But as far as what purpose this sea of white space serves, I have no idea. It does indicate a major passage of time, but I don't see how it serves the joke better than a standard series of time-passing panels would have. I will just assume that I'm missing something here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brubaker said...

My guess is the white space represents Mooch's "mind"...which is nothing.

2:23 AM  
Blogger uglinessman said...

Yeah, I was gonna say pretty much the same thing as Charles... that the stark and obvious concept of "blank" is more important than the concept of the passage of time in this case.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a clean slate ... and a quick sunday

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was gonna say what the other guys said, but I don't know that it works. Maybe if the white space was seperated into panels it would work better?

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home