Sunday, July 30, 2006

Airplane food...(it's so horrible, am I right?)




Five that I'm comfortable about today. I'm really trying to be more selective here, marking only silent reaction shots and entirely useless panels. I have been a little lax in the past.

Herman (reprint) by Jim Unger
Overboard by Chip Dunham
Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis
Sally Forth by Francesco Marciuliano
Pooch Cafe by Paul Gilligan

I'm not such a Herman historian that I have any idea what year this strip is from, but evidently it was from a time when a meal on an airplane trip was de rigeur. What a strange concept. The last time I flew, they gave me a pack of croutons and some sort of white puffy cheese spread.


It was also a time when a joke writer, facing the strongest writer's block or the most impossible deadline, could always fall back on an "isn't airplane food horrible?" gag.

(They seem to have been replaced with "aren't reality shows stupid?" gags.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to take issue with your inclusion of Pooch Cafe - that was a great reaction shot and the timing perfectly set up the ending gag.

Perhaps instead of just showing a string of silent panels out of context, you should show the strip with and without the panel and let people judge if it is needed. My guess is that Pooch cafe strip would be worse for not having that panel.

I get the joke of this site, but the presentation leaves something to be desired - why not make a new strip out of the silent strips by stringing them together and adding dialogue - do some sort of found art excercise. But just showing the silent panels out of context isn't really funny or illuminating or anything. Do somthing to satirize this cliche, or show how it isn't needed - but all you're doing is fetishizing disliking it. How is this interesting?

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home