Friday, August 25, 2006

Too many bears


Three silent penultimate panels for this Friday:

Bo Nanas by John Kovaleski
Candorville by Darrin Bell
Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis

Today's Mark Trail doesn't really count, but... I just love talking about Mark Trail


I've said before that Mark Trail is at his best when there's a bear involved. I'm afraid Jack Elrod might be reading my blog and got carried away with my enthusiasm, because all of a sudden, there are just too many damn bears.

There's the angry, injured bear that Kelley keeps taunting:


There's Buck Jones' pet (and possibly more) bear:


And now there's the yet-to-be-seen bear that's been knocking over this mustachioed yokel's bee hives.


In a case of Shakespearian (or maybe Three's Companian) mistaken identity, the yokel is about to shoot the pet bear, thinking he will be getting revenge for his lost honey. It's a classic tragedy waiting to happen.

But no matter what, it's just too many bears.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I think the Mark Trail SPP does count. Unless you mean it shouldn't count since there isn't a punchline so it really isn't a setup. But the "POW" in the last panel tells us what he was doing in the SPP.

The SPP in Pearls is probably the best example of why you started this blog. In the first panel, he states that he already has a Plan B. Putting in the SPP is like saying, "I better think up a plan B now since I said that actually have one." I don't think that is the Stephen Pastis' reason for putting the SPP in there. If it is, it is doubly dumbkin.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home