Sunday, October 08, 2006

Grumpy





Our typical bountiful Sunday. What better way to fill up all that Sunday space than a useless SPP?

Cathy by Cathy Guisewite
Cow and Boy by Mark Leiknes
Frazz by Jef Mallett
On the FastTrack by Bill Holbrook
Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey

If there's one thing I can't stand (and there isn't, there is actually about a million)

it is Mac user smugness. Allow me to look down on you with my own home-built, Linux user smugness. You have been fooled by clever marketing into thinking that your purchase of over-priced proprietary hardware and software is some sort of statement of individuality. Of course, that expensive stuff does work wonderfully with little hassle, but still, buying it does not make you special.

And now, the ugliest use of color ever on the Sunday comics page:

I've seen toilet stains prettier than this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles Céleste Hutchins said...

You must admit that hardware + (unix) software platform of the apple is vastly superior to windows or vista or whatever microsoft's operating system is called now.

Nothing in that cartoon suggests individuality, but I think a certain amount of smugness comes from having a computer that rarely crashes ro gets infected with malware.

I'm too lazy to put linux on my laptop. Almost all the nice unix utils build on the mac. It's possible to run an OS X system where all the software is free. I paid for one program that's quite nice for music notation and which doesn't exist for linux, alas.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My choice of overpriced and proprietary hardware has nothing to do with "individuality" and anyone who thinks that computer choice can make them unique needs their head examined.

I use a Mac because usually I don't want to put effort into setting things up on my computer – programs, utilities, programming languages, I just want it to work. But I also want to be rewarded for putting a bit more effort into setting things up (example: a command-line language installation that I can update with a few commands).

As for the comic, I think you're overreacting. The strip has none of the smugness you complain about, just a personal preference. Plus, it's a clever highlighting of Apple's marketing style.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home