Monday, November 27, 2006

Q*Bert



Three for this Monday:

Baldo by Hector Cantu and Carlos Castellanos (thanks, DemetriosX)
Cow and Boy by Mark Leiknes
Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis (somewhere, someone will complain about the depiction of a lit cigarette.)

Congratulations to Josh, the Comics Curmudgeon for his Op/Ed piece in today's L.A. Times. And thank you for the kind mention of this blog. This article arguing that newspapers can save themselves by dedicating more space and attention to daily comics appeared right in the same space that used to be occupied by the editorial cartoonist that the L.A. Times fired a year ago.

Today's Sally Forth (minus the unnecessary caption panel (the UCP is something I could dedicate a whole 'nother blog to)):

Was there ever a Q*Bert Christmas special? While Q*Bert was a part of CBS' Saturday Supercade, I don't believe there ever was a Q*Bert-themed depiction of the Nativity (or even a Q*Bert O. Henry story.) In my childhood I was a connoisseur of both video game cartoons and Christmas specials, and I don't remember the two intersecting at Q*Bert. I could be wrong.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Podgor said...

I could find no such Q*Bert Christmas special, but would like to see one based on the premise Ted puts forth. However, I know for a fact that there's a Pac-Man Christmas special.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Ces is recycling his own material here. Over at drinkatwork.com, he's been tossing out "forgotten" Christmas specials for a couple of weeks now. Q*Bert was one of them. I don't know if he deserves a pat on the back for making economical use of his material or a stern talking to for laziness. He's been so busy that he hasn't even been able to update Medium Large, so I guess I'll cut him a break this time.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too remember the PacMan Christmas Special, and also the year I got Q*Bert for Christmas- it was about 1989.

Although I did get a kick out of it, I guess it's hip and timely references like this that keep "Sally Fourth" so popular with the kids these days.
That, and guy in a green sweatervest... and a kid pigtails and ribbons... and a family that has one facial expression for every emotion.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home