Thursday, December 07, 2006

Improving the comics


It's an all bird edition of the Watch this Thursday:

Monty by Jim Medick (it's a bird puppet)
Shoe by Chris Cassatt and Gary Brookins

Today's Blondie doesn't quite make the watch, but that doesn't mean it's not awkward.


Ignore my bad photoshopping and I'll demonstrate how to improve the strip.

The human brain is actually capable of understanding two things at once. Therefore, we can combine the snotty lady's dialog with the revelation that Dagwood is one of the servers. So the awkward middle panel can just go.

Dean Young, you should hire me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Podgor said...

Does the "Monty" count? I thought the silent panel was part of the joke.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit, I sure love a SPP that's also a genuinely funny image all by itself, and Monty has rarely let me down.
Now is this also the 1st SPP on the watch that has ever involved an extinct cartoon puppet?

Also, I wonder if Monty realizes where that suit has been before...
http://www.hornymanatee.com/

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday is shaping up to be a busy day. Little Dee again (though this is an action panel that might earn a pass), Luann (semi-functional, I do like the look on Gunther's face), PreTeena (an excellent example of what you are fighting. I'm sure there are many others.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany gave Gunther a total make-over at some point earlier this year, cool clothes, new glasses with those tiny little square frames, the works. He dumped it after a couple of weeks, but he's had contacts for several months now.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with Mike P. I think the silent panel is essential to the joke.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't even need to insert Dagwood in the first panel to make the two panel version of the gag work. The final panel reveals both that Dagwood is a server and that he eats the food himself. I mean who doesn't know what Dagwood looks like at this point, even with his mouth hinged open? And even if you didn't recognize him, the 'joke' still works. Thus, I'd vote that this comic makes the SPP cut since nothing of value is in the second frame.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home