Friday, June 01, 2007

Peanuts



Three today:

Non Sequitur by Wiley Miller
Overboard by Chip Dunham
Peanuts (1960) by Charles Schulz


Doesn't even know his breed? At this point, ten years into Peanuts, Charles Schulz still hadn't figured out that Snoopy was a beagle. So many of the characters, running gags and facts we all think of as essential to the Peanuts universe were not invented until ten, twenty, thirty years after the strip began. It makes you wonder where Calvin and Hobbes would be now if Bill Watterson hadn't called it quits after only ten, quick years.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles Schulz still hadn't figured out that Snoopy was a beagle
I very much doubt that. Schulz modelled Snoopy on Spike, the pet beagle he kept as a kid. Before you go all "LOL WIKIPEDIA FAG" on me, I should probably point out I own a numbered copy of "Peanuts Jubilee". I understand all the cool kids hate Peanuts and zomg calvin&hobbes was so deep, so you might not care

12:54 PM  
Blogger Matt Gill said...

I normally don't respond to comments here, but I think you misunderstood what I meant to say--or I did not right clearly enough. What I meant to express was my admiration for Schulz and his constant re-invention and innovation, and I was also trying to put in a little dig on Bill Watterson for quitting so early. He is no Charles Schulz, is what I was saying. Take a look at my past entries. I love Peanuts to a fault.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Lott Holtz said...

I think there ought to be law mandating a comic strip artist publish for no more than 10 years. Watterson is be admired for pulling the plug on C&H before the plug needed to be pulled. Yet Peanuts continues to run years after Schultz' death. Peanuts' time has come.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home