Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday Funnies



Sunday SPPs are a little less dull. The rhythm is different, and, well, they're in color. But here are today's:
Candorville by Darrin Bell
Dilbert by Scott Adams (SPPW debut for Mr. Adams)
Get Fuzzy by Darby Conley

and...

Earlier this week 9 Chickweed Lane was noted for its two panel silent reaction. Today's Herman reprint brings us a three panels of set-up-the-punchline silence! And, as a bonus, there's even a silent first panel.

A while ago I worked with an old Russian woman who thought Herman was the funniest thing in the universe. "I love the Herman," she would say. I never really understood why, but I just read on comics.com that Herman was the first Western comic to be printed in East Germany. So, maybe somehow Herman was seen in the communist world as a shining beacon of freedom, a sample of the glorious wonders of democracy. Herman, ladies and gentlemen, equals hope.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to this blog, I was lead here from a members-only message board owned by and devoted to the world's best geek rapper MC Frontalot... anyway, is there a list somewhere of which funnies are carried by the LA Times? I only want to know so I'll know which comics not to bother reporting to you when I see a SPP.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Mike Herlihy said...

I also am new to the blog, but have been intrigued by the concept. It has led me to look at the comics in a different light.

My daughter was equally interested as we perused Sunday's offerings:

In the Boston Globe, in addition to those mentioned, we were treated to "Opus", "Monty", "Arlo and Janis" (silent save the last panel), "For Better or for Worse", "Adam @ Home", and "Rose is Rose". Another local paper's funnies adds "Garfield" to the mix.

Good stuff!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Matt Gill said...

Michael, thank you for you comments. I'm glad if this goofy little blog increases your appreciation of the daily comics. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. For a really good introduction to what comics are and can be, read the book Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. But thanks for reading and commenting. See you in the funny papers.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home