Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Born Loser


Three silent penultimate panels for Sunday:
The Born Loser by Art and Chip Sansom
Monty by Jim Meddick (both thanks to Ugliness Man.)
Brewster Rockit: Space Guy! by Tim Rickard

Brewster Rockit is unique. It is one single image divided into panels, but the effect is the same. Is it funnier to have all the character off-screen? I don't know.


Why is the Born Loser still around? Who are the fans that demand that the Born Loser stay in their local papers? Who are these people? Who are the people that ensure that a new Born Loser is created every day? Why, please tell me why?

The only thing I'm really happy about is that after tomorrow, the IRS jokes will be put on hold for whole 'nother year. Ugh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a few years ago, my local paper surveyed its readers to find out which comics were their favorites and which should be removed when the paper was reformatted. when the results were finally posted, the family circus had garnered the most votes, followed closely by the born loser and b.c. i'm guessing that the pool of people who sent in surveys was comprised mostly of conservatives (as evidenced by the facts that boondocks and doonesbury received the fewest votes in this poll and that my city voted overwhelmingly republican in 2004), so the continued existence of these strips is due in large part to the body of people who support cliche humor and kitsch as staunchly as they support our president.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Matthew Guerrero said...

Born Loser survives, I assume, because it's cheap. It runs in every small town daily across the Midwest.
I will say this much: I am not a Born Loser fanatic, but I have a certain fondness for it. God only knows why. I think you become attatched to whatever comics run in your local papers, even if they're perfectly awful (see: Lockhorns, Alley Oop).
Oh, and Gina: I'm, not a red stater. At all.
Sometimes it's just fun to watch life kick somebody in the balls repeatedly. Works with Charlie Brown and Peter Parker.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home