Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Oh, that Prickly City


A total of three silent penultimate panels from the L.A. Times and elsewhere:
Monty by Jim Meddick
Prickly City by Scott Stantis
9 Chickweed Lane by Brooke McEldowney

Josh points out one from yesterday with a particularly useless SPP:

The Middletons--

Things like this are the reason I'm around.

I don't want to get into politics, but I do want to mention how much I dislike today's Prickly City. This week, the coyote and the old-conservative-man-trapped-in-a-girls-body have been talking about illegal immigration. The coyote claims that his pack employees "undocumented coyotes." (And I don't want to get into how the word "coyote" has an entirely different meaning in the context of illegal immigration.) So, today, we see an "undocumented coyote," and of course, it's an obvious stereotype. Okay, that's fine. I'm not going to play my part in Stantis ' game and act all insulted. But after using certain ethnic imagery here, Stantis can not pretend to define his stance on the issue in terms of economics and protecting wages.

And that's all I'll say about that.

I promise no politics tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Funky W. in L.A. Times? They had a SPP yesterday . . . a creepy one. It's here, but also at Houston Chronicle comics.

4:53 AM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

The other disturbing thing is that the ambiguously ethnic girl is now clearly not Hispanic, further accentuating the latent rascism of the entire strip.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I had just finished today’s episode of my webcomic Basic Wage Kids when I discovered your blog. I never thought about the SPP being cliché before, but now I feel like I need to confess my sins or something. I'm gonna have to watch myself in future!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Are we supposed to pretend that that the "stereotype" of the immigrant agricultural worker is a chimera of the religious right? What is racist about depicting an archtype most of us come into contact with everyday? Look I speak near native quality Spanish, I have traveled and lived in Latin America, and I employ Mexicans, both with and without papers. (not that anyone could prove that I know their papers are false, but anywho..)I can tell you that virtually no Mexican not in the employ of an official activist group would find that cartoon offensive. Mexicans are not fragile, stupid, weaklings that need to be protected from satire. Only someone with no real contact with the Mexican community would be offended by this strip. I mean, hell, why is nobody disturbed at the cliched politics of the "old white man trapped in a little girls body"? That statement is way more unfair than the fact that the Mexican character is wearing a plad shirt and a ballcap.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Matt Gill said...

Dad! Thanks for posting. I had no idea you read my blog.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even understand your post. Isn't blond hair/blue eyes also "ethnic"? Please try to draw a black person without making them look ethnic. Dare ya.
And what does yellojkt mean that the strip is racist? Um, not speaking a language in the country you've decided to move to is racist? Or is it just very very stupid?

1:20 AM  
Blogger Matt Gill said...

Dad, really. Just call me.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home