Monday, May 08, 2006

Rough day

So I had to search pretty far today to find a silent penultimate panel. I don't know, it's almost cheating. But I found one:



Bob the Squirrel by Frank Page.

It's entirely unfair to see a comic strip once and pass judgment on it. But is that thing supposed to be a squirrel? He looks more like chicken wing juice himself than a squirrel. Who knows, maybe this Bob the Squirrel is the new Calvin and Hobbes and soon I'll regret ever saying anything negative about it.

A few days ago I said some words about web comics. A few of you responded with some suggestions of good ones I should give a chance. I'm happy to say that I did find one I like. Sinfest by Tatsua Ishida. Aside from the language and subject matter there's no reason why this couldn't be a syndicated comic. It's sharp and funny with good, clean art. Here's one of the few I feel comfortable putting on my PG rated blog--and of course, it's one with an SPP:


Thanks again to everyone of you who proved me wrong. Or at least proved there's maybe one grain of wheat out there in all that chaff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Guerrero said...

That art is far better than most of the syndicated lot for the past ten years. Finally, someone who knows how to use a f***ing brush properly.
Regardless, net comics are a bit like DIY punk: great in theory, sloppy and out of tune in reality.
Anything's better than Cathy, though.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't suggest Sinfest to you, because it's famous for periods of not updating. When it does, it's generally great.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Mertseger said...

I'm glad you liked Sinfest. My sense having followed it for a cople of years now, is that the publication gaps are becoming longer and more frequent. My guess is that he's getting burned out. *sigh* I guess without the paycheck and the whip of syndication, it's hard to be consistent. Nevertheless, when he's on, Ishida's great.

It should be mentioned as well, that Sinfest recurrently goes through two or three week periods of strictly G-rated material featuring a dog and and cat. It's a strange contrast to the rest of his work, but there you go.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home