Monday, July 03, 2006

Alert the joke police


Another day with just one silent penultimate panel:

The Duplex by Glenn McCoy

Like a lot of folks, I watched a lot of Saturday Night Live from the age of fifteen to nineteen or so. Which means I watched a lot during the late eighties and early nineties. Which means I saw a lot of "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" segments. Which means I know exactly where you stole this joke from, Glenn.

Unless Jack Handey stole it himself. Once a gag is stolen three times, it becomes public domain.


Look at today's Baby Blues.


Okay, that's cute. But tell me if this is funnier:

One less panel and one extra sound-effect makes the rhythm snappier. I think it better this way, but who am I?

2 Comments:

Blogger uglinessman said...

I'm not positive, but I think the original Deep Thoughts line ended with "then he's a mile away from you and he has no shoes", which is why this is even worse than a simple stolen gag, it ruins the punchline by not finishing the thought.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the Baby Blues comic. Your way is many times funnier. The other way with the SPP made no sense at all.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home