Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pearls Before Swine




The biggest crop of silent penultimate always blooms on Saturdays, when cartoonists think no one is looking.

Adam@Home by Brian Bassett
The Duplex by Glenn McCoy
Luann by Greg Evans
Pooch Cafe by Paul Gilligan
Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis

Pearls Before Swine with three silent penultimate panels out of six daily strips. That's a .500 average for the week.

And, really, today's is not necessary. It's a fairly funny gag, but the stuttering rhythm does not help it.


Right?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Matthew Guerrero said...

Actually, while I think Pearls is the top offender in unneccesary SPP's, I think both silent panels work here, because we have to feel time elapse to understand exactly how long croc's up there, and how awkward it is for him.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Charles CĂ©leste Hutchins said...

I agree with Matt

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I would keep the SPP but leave out the first silent panel, before the croc's speech. And maybe transition into the speech with something like "Ahem . . ." I realize this is a pretty conventional rhythm to fall into, but at least it would flow.

(Don't think I've posted before, but I've been reading awhile.)

R.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Matt Gill said...

But what I've been trying to get across all along here is that time passes in the panel gutter. Just by splitting Croc's speech across two panels enough awkward time is created for it to be funny.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home