Monday, October 09, 2006

A few random thoughts


Four silent penultimate panels for this Monday:

Betty by Delainey and Rasmussen
Non Sequitur by Wiley Miller
Piranha Club by Bud Grace
Prickly City by Scott Stantis

The solicit-your-readers-for-help trend continues with today's Flying McCoys.

Good luck getting something funny out of that. Cartoonists, if you can't think of a good punchline for one of your sketches, then, well, that's what trash cans are for.

Today's Lio:

In the past few months, Lio has become one of my favorites. And I love that Mark Tatulli is able to make an irreverent gag at the expense of one of daily comic's sacred cows.

The definition of the phrase "pure awesomeness" has been re-written by today's Rex Morgan.


And I will have no follow up to my Mac comments from yesterday. The truth is, I really don't know what I'm talking about, and the only reason I use Linux is because I'm cheap.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cartoonists, if you can't think of a good punch-line for one of your sketches, then, well, that's what trash cans are for."
Ouch! That seems like a harsh generalization. I'd like to think that a successful cartoon can be funny without a "punch-line" at all, if it's drawn well enough... But I do see what you're getting at here.

If I had the chance, I'd do a caption contest with a gag so blatantly obvious (technology/old people, expensive jeans/used jeans) and relish in all the similar submissions I receive from people who actually think they're original and clever.

I just discovered Lio for myself too, I didn't know what I was missing...

Boo Non Sequitur again. Hooray Prickly city again. That panel looks completely out of left field in yesterday's strip.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-and I've got a caption for those Flying McCoys:
"Look on the bright side, we can still look forward to discovering the planet's rectum!"

2:37 PM  
Blogger Matthew Guerrero said...

The only possible caption for the McCoys:

"Holy SHIT!"

May not be funny, but it's true.

Also, Rex Morgan is now the best thing on the comics page not featuring Satchel, Bucky, or Pig.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home