Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas nice


Another three for Tuesday

Bob the Squirrel by Frank Page
Frazz by Jef Mallett
Overboard by Chip Dunham

I had planned on spending this last week before Christmas saying nice things and I just realized its Tuesday already and I haven't started.

A comment from Fluffy: Another SPP at narbonic.com today. C'mon, give indie comics more love. I found your weblog because of Shannon Wheeler linking here.

And you are right, here it is.


And you are also right that I don't spend much time talking about web comics. By choice, I've limited the scope of the watch to mostly newspaper comics. This is because, first of all, I love reading a daily newspaper and the comics inside it. It's been a daily ritual for me for about as long as I have had the ability to read. This blog, despite what my constant criticism may suggest, really is just a daily love letter to newspaper comics. Second, most self-published web comics are really bad. They are amateur juvenilia created by people still learning their craft. To criticize and dissect them would just be cruel, and, most importantly, not very funny.

Narbonic, though is different. It's really good. It's well-drawn, witty, and unique--and extremely professional. There is no reason why its creator, Shaoenen K. Garrity, isn't nationally syndicated and very famous. But, for the most part, it will remain off the watch just because of my arbitrary limitations.

So there it is, nice Christmas sentiment #1. Not all web-comics are bad. Ho ho ho.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brubaker said...

But isn't "Bob the Squirrel" a webcomic? Well, maybe "Bob" counts since one daily newspaper runs the strip (helps that the sole newspaper that runs "Bob" employees creator Frank Page as their editorial cartoonist)

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wednesday's Fasttrack has an SPP.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Charles CĂ©leste Hutchins said...

Today's Sally Forth may have an spp, or at least some sort of hole in space and time. How are they in the same line twice? It's too confusing. And it must be twice because they have a different guy behind them.

Honestly, I was so confused about the drawing, I don't know if there was silence or not.

On another note, I hope Micheal of For Better or for Worse does offsite backups.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Both Zits and Monty had SPPs on Tuesday- but I can see why they'd be debatable. The one in Zits is clearly a pause, but it's also setting up the gag. I'm just not sure 2 silent panels conveys enough time passing. The sudden change in the parents demeanor makes them seem impatient and offended just 'cause their kid is hungry.
The one in Monty seems unnecessary, it's still the same gag without it.

Also, one of my personal favorite webcomics Diesel Sweeties will begin running in actual newspapers starting in January through United Feature Syndicate. If you check the archive, the very 1st strip has a SPP.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

I totally agree with you about web- comics and newspaper comics. Reading
the comics on a computer will never
have the same effect as reading them
on the newspapers.

Keep up the good work.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home