Wednesday, March 22, 2006

hmmm Doonesbury



Here's what we have today:
Prickly City by Scott Stantis
Doonesbury by Garry Trudeau

Doonesbury's use of the silent penultimate panel is interesting. Maybe I'm just making apologies for one of my favorites, but the SPP is used more as a dramatic beat than a comic one. So far, Trudeau has handled the B.D. storyline very well--staying funny and honest without resorting to heart-string tugging melodrama or cheap jokes. But, we'll see what I have to say if Trudeau's SPP streak keeps up tomorrow.

And, to explain my inclusion of Prickly City: I've tended not to include an all silent strip that leads up to a spoken punchline, and here we may have that. (If you consider a newspaper headline silent.) But, really, is that middle panel necessary at all? Would anything be lost without it? It's a lame joke to begin with, of course. And its a lame use of a silent penultimate panel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Erm... I don't actually "get" the prickly city strip... a lame joke, indeed. Usually, I pride myself in "getting" the really lame jokes... but yeah, I just don't get it.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Kate Fall said...

Yeah, me neither. The girl is reading a book. Are kids getting obese from sitting around reading? Are we spreading literacy throughout the world and making kids obese? Should I feel good or bad about this? Isn't worldwide obesity more an indication of adequate food supplies and an increasing dependence on technology? The silent panel is only confusing the issue. Why is he running? To prevent obesity? Should we all get up and jog after reading?

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home