Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Bumsteads' furniture



This week is killing me. Another seven silent penultimate panels:

Barkeater Lake by Corey Pandolph (What's up Corey?)
Between Friends by Sandra Bell-Lundy (The watch has just recently turned its attention to this strip. Apparently we've been missing out on a constant offender.)
Blondie by King Features
Get Fuzzy by Darby Conley
Momma by Mel Lazarus
Monty by Jim Medick
Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey

It must be something about these late summer days that's just drumming out the lazies.

I don't think I've ever thought about this before, and that surprises me because it's the sort of thing I would normally obsess about: I don't understand the Bumsteads' furniture layout.


His and hers easy chairs set perpendicular to each other. Dagwood vacantly watches television while Blondie works on a crossword puzzle. It's just so quaint and peculiar. Was there a time when this sort of thing was a common furniture arrangement? Was there ever a time when married couples spent their evenings this way? I really don't know. And where does Dagwood's napping couch fit into all this?

I'm going to lose sleep thinking about this.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barkeater is in reruns again. This isn't a relapse.

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure it qualifies, but Sally Forth bears a mention for doing this followed by this.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure if yesterday's GF was going to count- Most spp's won't change the legibility of the strip if removed, but this one is pretty crucial... still a pause though.

It's not much, but I find Monty's spp pretty funny by itself, just a silly drawing.

Those Sally Forth strips suddenly become much darker and dramatic if you interpret those randomly placed lines as a bed of tall grass, with this lifeless corpse of a kid nearby...

7:32 AM  
Blogger uglinessman said...

Note to gloriouskyle: the vast majority of Monty's SPPs are usually pretty funny drawings, even if they are quite often typically useless SPPs in the context of the strip itself (but never as useless as an average Duplex SPP).

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home