Monday, October 30, 2006

Funny drawing


I don't know... With the slow rate of silent penultimate panels in recent weeks, I'm starting to look pretty foolish out here.

Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey
Red and Rover by Brian Bassett
Non Sequitur by Wiley Miller

I've been trying to put my finger on what it is about Cow and Boy that puts me off and I think I might have it. First, a cow doesn't work as mentor character (cows are too dumb, Gary Larson proved that) and, second, a large animal on four spindly legs just can't do things like this:

That is just some terrible anthropomorphization. How exactly does that leg move that way?

In contrast, Darby Conley shows how to do funny animals right.

Cats lounging around in laundry baskets with big tall drinks by their sides, that is funny. It doesn't matter what they're actually saying.
Funny drawing=funny comics. Awkward drawing=awkward comics.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually like Cow & Boy, though it took a while for me to get into it. I like the fact that sometimes Cow is the smart one a la Hobbes and sometimes she is completely insane. As for the anthropomorphizing, well, Billy (and maybe his friend Martin) seems to be the only one who sees Cow as anything but a normal cow. His parents and big sister always blame him for Cow's antics.

That being said, the art is pretty problematic, especially the faces. Billy often looks like he's 90. The guy puts a ton of detail into his people, especially the kids, while everything else remains rather cartoony. Bad contrast.

Still, when the strip hits a good riff, it's really good.

2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"With the slow rate of silent penultimate panels in recent weeks, I'm starting to look pretty foolish out here."

Don't let your resolve slacken, man!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home