Wednesday, May 10, 2006

hmm.


Pooch Cafe by Paul Gilligan
Pickles by Brian Cane

It's been a slow week. I had to dig around the internet Monday, yesterday there was only two, and now, well, I have to change the rules to have something today.

I'd like to think that it is my huge influence that has caused this drop in SPP activity. Now cartoonists are trying to disguise their SPPs by throwing in inconsequential words. Words like "hmm," and "oh." But that won't work. I'm not letting you off on a technicality. Mr. Gilligan and Mr. Crane, you are officially on the watch.

Does a silent penultimate panel have to be silent? It ain't no zen koan. The answer is simple and the answer is "no."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was through my little cartoonist group that turned me on to your blog... it's a small circle - I told Shena Wolf who works at Uclick - and they syndicate all those guys... yep. I wouldn't be surprised if you were having an influence...

course, you're making me want to add silent panels to my comic.

shannon wheeler
too much coffee man cartoonist
http://tmcm.livejournal.com

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree that SPPs don't have to be silent...

...though it's not like the comics page actually makes sound unless you rustle the paper.

Smart-assery aside, the SPP is supposed to be a comic pause/beat before the punchline, and putting an inconsequential noise in there does nothing, just as a penultimate panel can have no talking in it, but have essential action in it and thus not qualify as an SPP. Pretty clear to me.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's one for today that goes along with a topic you talked about the other day regarding web comics. a web comic (atleast i think it is) and an SPP. im definitely not hating on Sheldon, its one of my favorites, but i figured i'd help you out since it's been a slow week

http://www.comics.com/comics/sheldon/index.html

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home