Monday, August 07, 2006

Headbutts


Three culprits today:
Garfield by Paws Inc.
Overboard by Chip Dunham
Prickly City by Scott Stantis

I'm letting Non Sequitur off the hook today. Yes, it is technically a silent penultimate panel, but it doesn't bring the momentum of the strip to dead halt.


To expand my comments about Cow and Boy from yesterday, and to respond to the comment from Phinnaeus: With or without the string of silent panels, the gag is simply not funny. A bad SPP simply makes something look like a joke, it doesn't make it funny. The SPP imitates a rhythm we've gotten used to from watching too many sitcoms and beer commercials. It's a crutch that props a flimsy cloth of an idea into the shape of a gag.

The most awesome Family Circus ever?

Why the bulky phrase "butted me with his head," instead of "headbutt" (or the even cooler "coup de boule,") I don't know. But that top drawing is one of the best I've seen in the daily comics in a while. Look at that energy just pouring out of Jeffy.

So, The Family Circus, the most middle of the road, non-offensive, mainstream, heartland-America comic ever makes a joke about the World Cup. Does this mean soccer has finally penetrated the consciousness of America? Maybe so. All it took was the head and temper of Zinedine Zidane (and a taunting Italian.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with you on Non Sequitur. I still think it counts.

Though, maybe I was biased by the explanation you gave before reading the strip.

Regardless, I think the joke works both ways.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home