Saturday, November 04, 2006

Zippy



Three more on this Saturday:
Broom Hilda by Russell Meyers
Candorville by Darin Bell
Piranha Club by Bud Grace (Thanks for the ass-shot, Bud.)

Gloriouskyle left a good comment about Zippy the Pinhead after the Friday post. Yes, silent panels in Zippy are rare. Some Zippy strips have more words than a Readers Digest.

I can't say I've ever been a huge fan. I don't think it's a bad strip at all. It's probably brilliant, it just seems to be written in a foreign language I don't have the time or energy to translate.

I had a roommate in college who loved Zippy. We had a ridiculiously cheap student rate subscription to the Washington Post and the only thing this guy read out of the whole paper was Zippy. He'd read it and break down in laughter. I'd pick it up after him and the hillarious joke would transform into a non-sensical series of random images. My other roommate and I clipped out each day's Mark Trail and taped it to our front door. Imagine a door-sized spaced filled with Mark Trail; it's as funny as it sounds. We'd look over at it and just crack up. My Zippy-fan roommate one day was just staring at the door. He looked at it for a while, shook his head and said "I don't get it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home